Petal High School Reading Focus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Petal High School Reading Focus

This is a place for Petal High School students to share what they are reading. Your response should be in 50 word increments and should discuss some literary aspect of your choice novel.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

4th period - Forum 1

Go down 
+15
angela_mariee
Cjohnson
cadedabbs
christophermonroe
kennedygavin
CandiceNForsmark
jonfoster
davidcrawford
ashtoncummings
ashleybastine
leannaparker16
obrianbarnes
shanicemcgowan
ReganCooley
Admin
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

4th period - Forum 1 Empty
PostSubject: 4th period - Forum 1   4th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 1:29 pm

Describe one major external conflict in your book and one major internal confilict found in your book.

Internal is something the characters struggle with on their own.
External is a struggle the character has with something or someone else.

This should be 100 words.
Back to top Go down
https://petalreadingfocus.forumotion.com
ReganCooley

PostSubject: IF I STAY First Forum   4th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 3:45 pm

In my book IF I STAY Mia has a chioce to make does she want to lie in the world she is in with many problems with her body like desablitys. I believe that is the internal conflict she struggles with,because her heart is telling her one thing and her mind is telling her the total opissite of what her heart is saying. The External conflict is that her family is dead her mom,dad,and lilttle brother. She would have many disabilitys and she would be total diffrent from her past life. She see everybody that wonts her back and if she stays she will have heart ache and more. She is struggleing with these both equally and i really want her to stay its not her time to go she can still live her life and be who is wants to be even tho she has disablilitys.(140)
Back to top Go down
shanicemcgowan

PostSubject: Re: 4th period - Forum 1   4th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 3:38 pm

In the book girl stolen Cheyenne has incident where she is partially blind. Cheyenne has to go through being kidnapped blind. She has uses all her other strengths to get through this without getting hurt.An internal conflict that cheyenne faces is that she feels she has to be strong enough for herslef and her father. When her father founf that she was blind her cried , so not to make the problem worse she learned how to silently cry so she could cover her pain so she wouldn’t make her dad feel worse. Cheyenne has to learn not to hold things in because it is not good for her.
Back to top Go down
obrianbarnes

PostSubject: Re: 4th period - Forum 1   4th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2013 6:30 pm

In my book to kill a mocking bird one internal problem that jean faced is that when she went to school for the first time her teacher Mrs. Caroline told jean that her father could not teach her how to read any more because she was in school now. an external problem that she faced was when she would go home there would be a house called boo radiley that people say that is hunted and she belives that someone watches her while she walks home.
Back to top Go down
leannaparker16

PostSubject: Re: 4th period - Forum 1   4th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 5:05 pm

In my book there’s a lot of conflict the name of my book is “I’m Fifteen and I Don’t want to Die”. I haven’t really fount out whose the fifteen year old is yet. This man is really sick they don’t really give that many names but they he is a sick man is what they call him and he is really sick to the point that he can barely get up and move around. But he has to because this was during the holocausts and if you didn’t work or if you were too old or to young you couldn’t work so they killed you. But now it is getting harder and harder for him to be able to get up. Now there’s more conflict a baby has got sick I don’t know very much about that yet but I know that they had used the rest of their water that was in the pale to make the baby some milk. The milk was dry so they had to use the water for the baby’s health and they had two more days until they got anymore water.(188)
Back to top Go down
ashleybastine

PostSubject: Re: 4th period - Forum 1   4th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm

One major external problem in my book is how someone raped the main character Susie Salmon. It happened when she was walking home from school one day in a field and this old man stopped her and told her to come in and wouldn’t leave her alone till she did. When she finally came in he was asking her all of these questions, that was clearly none of his business to start with. Anyways, he was talking about her having a boyfriend and how she was a virgin and how he would be happy to check and he was sure her parents would be happy to know she was and everything. He was basically being a child molester.

One main internal problem is that she can’t believe what happen and she was to talk to her parents and family and tell them she is okay but she can’t because she is in heaven. It hurts Susie’s how her sister acts like nothing happened at all and that everything is okay when it really isn’t. She knows everyone is unhappy and is hurt but she can’t fix it like she wants to.
(191)
Back to top Go down
ashtoncummings

PostSubject: Re: 4th period - Forum 1   4th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 4:29 pm

In my book BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID there is really no external/internal conflict in the book because its multiple stories in one book. In one story, which is called “The Vanishing Hitchhiker”, has multiple versions of the urban legend. In one of the versions, a man and his wife find a suitcase on the side of the road and on it has an address so they take it to the address and turns out, the suitcase belongs to a girl that had to hitchhike because her car broke down, but she died right where the suitcase was and on one specific night the suitcase gets brought back to the same address. There is no external conflict that I know of but an internal conflict would possibly be how the characters find out that the suitcase belongs to a ghost and that on that very night it turns up and someone always picks it up and brings it to the same exact address everytime.(164)
Back to top Go down
davidcrawford

PostSubject: Re: 4th period - Forum 1   4th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 4:27 pm

In my book BOMB I have only got to a internal conflict he wrote to his friend saying that he has found something important and his friend took what he found and said that he found it and was on the news saying that it was him and his team of scientist that found it. What they found was a way to make a atomic bomb and that is what my main charicter sent in the mail to his friend . that is all I got to so far.(89)
Back to top Go down
jonfoster

PostSubject: Re: 4th period - Forum 1   4th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 4:33 pm

In my book Star trek voyager captain janeway finds a ship that is going a top speed that is trying to escape the qavok. The people trying to escape the qavok were prisoners. The qavok get stopped by the U.S.S voyager. The qavok did not listen to captain janeways warning to stop. In doing this they fought the voyager and they got shot at and the ship they had got damaged. After the shooting stopped they fled. After they fled they, the qavok, are trying to come up with a plan to strike back at voyager and its crew members.(100)
Back to top Go down
CandiceNForsmark

PostSubject: Candice Forsmark -the Girl who was Supposed to Die   4th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 8:30 pm

In my book, The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die, the internal conflict is the main girl struggling with her memory loss. That is the reason I cannot call her by her name, she does not know it. Throughout the book she keeps trying to remember everything before she came to beaten and battered in a cabin with a man saying “She doesn’t know anything. Take her out back and finish her off”. Which leads to the external conflict; two or more men want her dead. She does not know why but two men, that she know of, want her dead and all she knows is that she has to run. -112
Back to top Go down
jsmith

PostSubject: Re: 4th period - Forum 1   4th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 9:28 pm

In my book true survival stories it has a bunch of different stories in it. But one of the stories the internal conflict was were they going to survive because they feel in a volcano. the external conflict is that they feel in the volcano and are trying to get rescued. The reason they fell in the volcano was because they were photographers taking pictures from a helicopter. The helicopter messed up and fell in. They were stuck there for several days before they were rescued. Once they were rescued the had to be taken to the hospital for breathing all of the poisonous gasses that the volcano gave off.
Back to top Go down
kennedygavin

PostSubject: Re: 4th period - Forum 1   4th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 4:39 pm

The book I am reading is called the Lucky one. So Logan Thibault was once in the military and he found this picture with a woman on it and it has brought him so much luck through all the fighting he's done and through everything else,but one thing he struggles with is finding the woman on the picture and returning it. Once he find her they get to know each other and he ends falling in love with her but never tells her he has the picture and where he git it from because the picture actually belong to her brother she had given to to him before he left and he lost it and ended up dying. So Logan can't tell her because it will bring back bad memorise I.think this is external conflict
Back to top Go down
christophermonroe

PostSubject: Re: 4th period - Forum 1   4th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 7:53 pm

In my book Lord of Opium Matt has just found out that since he was El Patrons clone and that El Patron is dead he is the new lord of opium. Some of the internal conflicts he has is trying to make Alcran a better place. He wants to dig up all the opium and plat stuff like fruits and vegetables. But the egits would have to be reprogrammed which would be very painful. Which brings me to his external conflict, curing the egits. The egits have microchips in their brain which keeps them from thinking or feeling any emotion. (100)
Back to top Go down
cadedabbs

PostSubject: Re: 4th period - Forum 1   4th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 4:33 pm

One major external conflict my character struggles with is, with his family and friends. Who struggles with the because, when his grandfather died he had seen something that wasn't there. Like a monster of some sort. When he had reported it to the police they thought he was crazy along with everyone else he told the story to. So everyone was sort of weirded out by him. A major internal conflict my main character has is, he tries really hard to find out what had happened to hi grandfather. His grandfather had told him a lot of stories about his childhood, about monsters and children with weird powers.So when he had seen the monster he believed everything his grandfather had said, and is trying to figure out what happened to his grandfather. (130)
Back to top Go down
Cjohnson

PostSubject: Re: 4th period - Forum 1   4th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 5:01 pm

In my book One of those hideous book where the mother dies she has many inner conflicts, but her main one is she has to move in with her dad. Away from her family, bestfriend, and her boyfriend. She never broke up with her boyfriend, and they are still dating. But there is this girl named Amber and she likes her boyfriend Ray, and she is really scared that he is going to cheat on her with Amber, but her and Ray have been dating for about 2 years. That is one of her main inner conflicts. Her outer conflict is whenever she was little her dad left them, and never to be heard from, but when her mom died she had to move in with her Aunt Duffy. Her aunt was like another mother but when ever Ruby got to the point where Aunt Duffy thinks it is time for her to meet her dad she has to move in with him. So she was really mad and when she feels like talking to her DEAD MOTHER she like get on AOL mail and opens a blank page and just pours out her feeling to her mom, but it is a hard struggle for her not having a mom. That is her outer conflict.
Back to top Go down
Cjohnson

PostSubject: Re: 4th period - Forum 1   4th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 5:04 pm

(214)
Back to top Go down
angela_mariee

PostSubject: Re: 4th period - Forum 1   4th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 5:03 pm

My book is return to me I havent got through with the book yet but this book is about a girl named rebecca (rebel) who moves away to college and her parents move with her but her mom trys to convenice her to breakup with her boyfreind jackson .but her dad said that jackson could fly up to see her every once and a while. I think the internal conflict is rebel trying to break up with jackson because long distance relationships don’t work .and the external conflict is trying to make her parents happy if she decides not to break up with him. (105)
Back to top Go down
chad.davis0

PostSubject: Re: 4th period - Forum 1   4th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 4:42 pm

His external confilict is the main character cheats on his girl friened with a nother girl then she breaks up with him an she makes him take her home.
Then there is the internal confilict and its about a girl named marry ewells nobody knows much about her all they can tell you if you ask about her is the she is a very very good student an not that much of a talker then out of know were she just quit coming to school an a teacher starts to wonder what happened to her then the cops come an tell them that she has came up missing.
Back to top Go down
blakepowell

PostSubject: Re: 4th period - Forum 1   4th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 5:00 pm

In my book which is called Miss peregrine's home for pecular children. one of the internal conflict is the main charcter named jacob portman is on a quest to findout what killed him and it was not human. Jacob it faced with alot of things that try to stop him from finding out but in the end he is feed up and wont's to go home in flordia. one of the internal conflicts is one with jacob's only real fraind that he has in his home town in flordia. the only bad thing is that the kid jacob hangsout with is really bad like he smokes,dips and drink's beer. That is about it for this forum.
Back to top Go down
detric f carter

PostSubject: Re: 4th period - Forum 1   4th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 4:29 pm

Obsessy was trapped on all these islands trying to find his way home. On one island obsessy was with this very young lady that he had fell in love with. When he told her that he had a wife and a child the girl got mad and almost kicked him off the island. Another thing he struggle with was returning to the island without anyone knowing of his return. He had to clear all the young guards out of his palace so he and his wife can have their life again. He defeated all the guards but he had one more worry defeating the other guards that were looking for him. At the end he didn’t go in battle with the other guards because of a spirit stopped them from killing each other and set beside their differences. “138”
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 4th period - Forum 1   4th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 12:08 pm

ReganCooley wrote:
In my book IF I STAY Mia has a chioce to make does she want to lie in the world she is in with many problems with her body like desablitys. I believe that is the internal conflict she struggles with,because her heart is telling her one thing and her mind is telling her the total opissite of what her heart is saying. The External conflict is that her family is dead her mom,dad,and lilttle brother. She would have many disabilitys and she would be total diffrent from her past life. She see everybody that wonts her back and if she stays she will have heart ache and more. She is struggleing with these both equally and i really want her to stay its not her time to go she can still live her life and be who is wants to be even tho she has disablilitys.(140)

I agree, Regan, I didn't want her to go either. Don't forget spell check!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 4th period - Forum 1   4th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 12:10 pm

shanicemcgowan wrote:
In the book girl stolen Cheyenne has incident where she is partially blind. Cheyenne has to go through being kidnapped blind. She has uses all her other strengths to get through this without getting hurt.An internal conflict that cheyenne faces is that she feels she has to be strong enough for herslef and her father. When her father founf that she was blind her cried , so not to make the problem worse she learned how to silently cry so she could cover her pain so she wouldn’t make her dad feel worse. Cheyenne has to learn not to hold things in because it is not good for her.

It's hard to hold feelings inside though. I bet that this causes her to be more conflicted? Don't forget your word counts!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 4th period - Forum 1   4th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 12:11 pm

obrianbarnes wrote:
In my book to kill a mocking bird one internal problem that jean faced is that when she went to school for the first time her teacher Mrs. Caroline told jean that her father could not teach her how to read any more because she was in school now. an external problem that she faced was when she would go home there would be a house called boo radiley that people say that is hunted and she belives that someone watches her while she walks home.

OB, internal conflict is when the character is conflicted inside herself. Like fear, anxiety, anger that is felt inside. Don't forget to run spell check on your comments.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 4th period - Forum 1   4th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 12:13 pm

leannaparker16 wrote:
In my book there’s a lot of conflict the name of my book is “I’m Fifteen and I Don’t want to Die”. I haven’t really fount out whose the fifteen year old is yet. This man is really sick they don’t really give that many names but they he is a sick man is what they call him and he is really sick to the point that he can barely get up and move around. But he has to because this was during the holocausts and if you didn’t work or if you were too old or to young you couldn’t work so they killed you.  But now it is getting harder and harder for him to be able to get up. Now there’s more conflict a baby has got sick I don’t know very much about that yet but I know that they had used the rest of their water that was in the pale to make the baby some milk. The milk was dry so they had to use the water for the baby’s health and they had two more days until they got anymore water.(188)

LeAnn, be sure to answer the question. These are all external conflicts. Do any of the characters wrestle with anything inside themselves? Like fear, anger, indecision?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 4th period - Forum 1   4th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 12:15 pm

ashleybastine wrote:
One major external problem in my book is how someone raped the main character Susie Salmon. It happened when she was walking home from school one day in a field and this old man stopped her and told her to come in and wouldn’t leave her alone till she did. When she finally came in he was asking her all of these questions, that was clearly none of his business to start with. Anyways, he was talking about her having a boyfriend and how she was a virgin and how he would be happy to check and he was sure her parents would be happy to know she was and everything. He was basically being a child molester.

One main internal problem is that she can’t believe what happen and she was to talk to her parents and family and tell them she is okay but she can’t because she is in heaven. It hurts Susie’s how her sister acts like nothing happened at all and that everything is okay when it really isn’t. She knows everyone is unhappy and is hurt but she can’t fix it like she wants to.
(191)

Good job, Ashley! You really understand conflict. This book is so sad!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4th period - Forum 1   4th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

4th period - Forum 1
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next