Petal High School Reading Focus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Petal High School Reading Focus

This is a place for Petal High School students to share what they are reading. Your response should be in 50 word increments and should discuss some literary aspect of your choice novel.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

5th period - Forum 1

Go down 
+16
kay_burns
Shanna Evans
hannah_trest
john_blaylock
ashlie_collier
cameron_green
michael_turcotte
kambreejarrell_
brandon_jones
Brad_McClendon
Chris_Roberts
KaylaLucas
tyler_wormser
colton_dennis
keenan_stevens
Admin
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

5th period - Forum 1 Empty
PostSubject: 5th period - Forum 1   5th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 1:30 pm

Describe one major external conflict in your book and one major internal confilict found in your book.

Internal is something the characters struggle with on their own.
External is a struggle the character has with something or someone else.

This should be 100 words.

Back to top Go down
https://petalreadingfocus.forumotion.com
keenan_stevens

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 1   5th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 4:33 pm

In the book The Sea of Monsters , Percy Jackson has a problem with himself where he has to fight all these monsters that are trying to kill him. That is his external conflict. He has to deal with all the monsters trying to kill him. He has a special sword that he keeps with him. It is disguised as a ball point pen. When he clicks it , it turns into a sword. But his internal conflict is worse. He is super ADHD. He is dyslexic so bad. But he can read roman language. But so far it is a great book. (100 or more.. i lost count)
Back to top Go down
colton_dennis

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 1   5th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 4:22 pm

Miss peregrines home for peculiar children.The first conflict that is presented in this story is that Jacob must find out what happened to his grandpa. When Jacob realized that his grandfather was murdered by the monsters that he has been telling Jacob about for years, Jacob knows that he must find out who killed his grandpa. He also knows that he must find out what his grandpa had been hiding. Jacob is faced with coming up with a plan to find the murderer, and the secrets of his grandfather's past. This conflict is man v. self, because Jacob must push himself to find the answers. (105)
Back to top Go down
tyler_wormser

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 1   5th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 4:34 pm

in my book the hunting hour. there are 10 storeies and i picked (The hollween dance). okay this little girl named madison and heer brother mark was haveing a hollween party and home and mark te boy did not want to he wanted to go to a real party so him and his friends walked out the dorrr after a movie came on that he did not like. when him and his frineds made it to the top of the hill one of his friends saind ther was a hollween party at the crave yard so thay went and when thay got there there was a bunch of dead pepole goming out the ground.(115)
Back to top Go down
KaylaLucas

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 1   5th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2013 4:32 pm

In my book, Sean Griswold’s Head, the main character, Payton deals with a personal problem. Her dad has multiple sclerosis and there is nothing she can do about it. She feels bad about it, but there’s just one problem: They lied to her about it. She didn’t talk to them for about a month. And her mom and dad start to worry. They set up some meetings with the guidance counselor at school, but she tells Payton to do a Focus Exercise. She decides to do it on Sean Griswold’s head (hence the name of the book). She starts to get into all of this drama with her best friend, her brother, and even Sean himself. Wonder what happens next…… (121)
Back to top Go down
Chris_Roberts

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 1   5th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 5:40 pm

In the book im reading Ender’s Game there are some major conflicts going on. The one that I thought was the biggest so far in the book is that ender has the choice to go to the military space camp or stay with his family. When he chooses to go to the military camp he then has the problem of his peers and commander Graff making it hard on him to see if he’s got what it takes to be the next military commander. Graff acts like he’s better so the people in his company don’t like him and try to pick on him to make him toughen up.(109)
Back to top Go down
Brad_McClendon

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 1   5th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 5:25 pm

In the beginning, Helmuth's patriotism is unwavering. But every day the rights of people all over Germany are diminishing. Jews are threatened and their businesses are being destroyed, the truth has been censored, and danger lurks everywhere. Anybody can turn on you. The world has turned upside down: Patriotism means denouncing others, love means to hate, and speaking out means treason. Silence becomes everyone's guilty secret. How much longer can Helmuth keep silent? Told in flashback with breathtaking suspense, Newbery Honor Book author Susan Campbell Bartoletti magnificently explores the life of a heroic German youth who dared to stand up against the Nazis. (103)
Back to top Go down
brandon_jones

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 1   5th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 5:26 pm

External and Internal Conflict:
Maus

One example of internal conflict in the book Maus, was Vladek Spiegelman because at two points Vladek get sick. The first time was when he scrubs his hand to make himself come down with a fever. After he survives a day he goes back to working with the other Jews. The second disease happens close to when Vladek survives the holocaust. He eats soup and comes down with a disease that can cause him to die. So he walks into a room full of people that have been stepped all over. Before he could lie down, he starts feeling better.

An example of external conflict in Maus is Art because he is driven to write the story by other people crowding around him, bragging for him to do it. So he expresses his feeling of that by shrinking down to the size of a 4-year old. After this happens he starts regaining his normal size. (160)
Back to top Go down
kambreejarrell_

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 1   5th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 5:33 pm

In the book, Saving Juliet, there is a few internal conflicts and there is also a few external conflicts throughout the story and as far as I have read I am pretty sure that there is so many more conflicts to come, but from what i know is that Juliet has a major internal conflict that she has to deal with all alone is her having to live life to the fullest but not only that she has to live her life all alone and by herself, honestly I dont know if I could do that.....living life with family and friends are still hard and still complicated and I couldnt imagine what it would be like if I had to live my whole life alone, no help, nobody to depend on, nobody to count on, or nobody to just sit down and talk to. Also there is another conflict in here which I picked out and that conflict was external and I want to say that the one I picked is the Capulets and Montagues have big conflicts because they always fight each other maybe not physically but they always fight.... and that was just a few conflicts in the book that I am reading, Saving Juliet.
Back to top Go down
michael_turcotte

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 1   5th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 5:27 pm

In my book I AM A SEAL TEAM SIX WARRIOR one extrenal conflict in my book was that Howard (the main character) faces many problems as he goes through training. He has to be in water so cold youll get hypothermia and other times were he will have to go through what the army calls Hell Week and have to go through things you couldn’t even imagine. And one Internal conflict in my book is that howard has to face the pain that his step father (Leon) put on him. And now he has all that pain and joining the army that will give him more pain to have put on his memories that happened in the past. (119)
Back to top Go down
cameron_green

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 1   5th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 5:37 pm

A major external conflict in my book ( Mous ) is the main character, he founds a girl he dates her and later on he feels as if he wants to superate. she is so attached to him that she doesn’t want him to leave and later on he founds another girl that he started dating and he goes to his apparment and she is in there (ex girlfriend). He tells her to leave his apparment building, that there is nothing between them anymore, that he is dating another girl and she finally leaves his apparment.
A major external conflict in mous is that he and his family are jews and the nazis are coming to invade his town and they tear down or take over all the business that the jews owned.
Back to top Go down
ashlie_collier

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 1   5th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 5:29 pm

In my book the character when she has problems she really dnt have no one to go to because her mom is always at work and her sister is never there and her grandma is to old to remember anything so she really just keeps in all in to her self and that’s not really good she could go talk to the school about her problems the she has at home but she problem is her sister always gone and hanging out the the wrong people that she shouldn’t be hanging out with because they got her doing stuff that she knows right from wrong when she does it .
Back to top Go down
john_blaylock

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 1   5th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 5:29 pm

in my book enders game there are some some conflicts in the book the that i think is the most thought about in hte book is enders choses to go off to millitary space camp or to stay home with his beloved family. so he makes the choses to go off to space camp, and when he does the cammander Gaff is on him hard ,like tick on a florida bull dog, he never gets a break he works 24/7 just to show the cammaonder that he has what it takes to be in the games.
Back to top Go down
hannah_trest

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 1   5th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 5:47 pm

In my book the character Wen is having some problems. She just got adopted from China and is coming to America. She is sad because she is going to have to leave her sister (best friend) behind. She misses her a lot. She is trying to be the best American daughter ever to where she can ask her new family to adopt Shu Ling. She isn’t quite sure if they might send her back so it my take a while. Oh how she can’t wait to ask.

Wen is also struggling with herself. She needs to learn English and it’s really hard for her. Her parents are trying there very best to speak to her in her language but for her to be going to an American school so she is going to have to learn English for her to do school. She is struggling though. She is trying her best to fit in but it’s not working. She wants to be with Shu Ling and everything but she is so far away and she is not sure if her parents are going to keep her before she asks to adopt Shu Ling.
Back to top Go down
Shanna Evans

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 1   5th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 4:34 pm

In my book, My Louisiana Sky, one major external conflict would have to be with Tiger and her best friend Jesse Wade. Tiger and Jesse had been friends for a while, and one of the popular girls they went to school with threw a party and invited Jesse, but not Tiger. She didnt know Jesse had gone to the party, so she went to his house to see if he wanted to go float the river with her as they normally do, but Jesse's mom told Tiger he was at the party. As she left the house and was half way to the river, Tiger was crying. And little did she know Jesse was coming up behind her. Tiger had no stronger feelings for Jesse than just a friend, but as he walked up and saw her crying. He kissed her. Tiger felt that, that made it awkward and weird for them, expecially since Tiger never had her first kiss and it had to be Jesse. An internal conflict that's in the book is between Tiger and her parents. Tiger's parents arent like other parents, expecially her mom. Her mom has a mind set of like a 5 year old. TIger doesnt tell her mom that shes imature, or embarrases her. She keeps it inside, but it really bothers Tiger. She always wonders why her mom is like that, till one day her moms sister told her when her mom was about 6 she fell off a latter, hit her head, and hasnt been right ever since. But TIger feels she has to be the mom and take care of herself, and the responsibilty of her parent.
Back to top Go down
kay_burns

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 1   5th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 11:16 pm

So in my book Strawberry Hill there is a girl named  Mimi one external conflict would be that she Had no friends till Allie moved to the a new town. When Allie moved Mimi and her became friends but not best friends. one internal conflict that she did not know how to read good. I can relate to that because when i was little i could not read good, but i got better and so did Mimi after her and Allie was reading a book over the phone while she was sick. After she got better she could read a lot better than what she already could.
Back to top Go down
elizabeth_bailey

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 1   5th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 5:27 pm

In my book Love, Stargirl there are many external and internal conflicts. I feel like the main external conflict is that she isn't acting the same and being as nice as she normally is. The internal conflict is that she misses leo and she isn't as happy as she was with him or even when she was in ariozonia. I feel like she is home sick and the move affected her internally and externally. The root of the problem was her moving states. If she had never moved I feel like everything would be different. she would proably be happier even without leo.
Back to top Go down
alex_overstreet

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 1   5th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 5:47 pm

In the book, hot hand by mike lupica comeback kids, they have an internal problem. The little boy, nate, is playing basketball with his team and his mom and dad are getting a divorce. He doesnt know what to do so he is all sad. He gets all worked up over nothing. Soon he learns to deal with it and understand that his parents dont love each other anymore. He also has an external conflict when his coach (dad) tells him to do a play. He is about to do it when he realizes, if he does it, then it will get packed. So he changes the play and goes for the shot. He makes it and wins the game. (120)
Back to top Go down
Christopher_Adams

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 1   5th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 5:58 pm

The person who changed the most in book is jacob, in the beginning, he thought himself was a bit of a loser who did not any friends . but then he starts to see and experience his grandfathers story. Then he assume that he going crazy until he meets a girl from the home that his grandfather always talked about in his stories. And now he falls in love with the same girl, but thinks that she only like him cause he looks like his grandfather. Who dies shortly after he begins to think of himself as a loser. And ends up becoming the leader if not the advisor (109)
Back to top Go down
maryannthompson

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 1   5th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 5:07 pm

One major external event well at one point in the book Colton didn’t really like the doctor’s cause he was being taken away by them. And Colton wanted to say bye before he went into his surgery. But the doctors wouldn’t let him say bye for at least a little bit longer. One internal event was that Colton had to get a major surgery and during that he went to heaven for about three minutes and he came back therefore coltons surgery was an internal event in the book Heaven Is For Real. Also Colton tells what he does during his surgery. (103 words)
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 1   5th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 12:22 am

keenan_stevens wrote:
In the book The Sea of Monsters , Percy Jackson has a problem with himself where he has to fight all these monsters that are trying to kill him. That is his external conflict. He has to deal with all the monsters trying to kill him. He has a special sword that he keeps with him. It is disguised as a ball point pen. When he clicks it , it turns into a sword. But his internal conflict is worse. He is super ADHD. He is dyslexic so bad. But he can read roman language. But so far it is a great book. (100 or more.. i lost count)

Sounds like a really good book. I think that having reading struggles is an internal conflict that a lot of students could relate to, but it is exciting to think that one could really fight monsters even while they struggle to do school work, right?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 1   5th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 12:23 am

colton_dennis wrote:
Miss peregrines home for peculiar children.The first conflict that is presented in this story is that Jacob must find out what happened to his grandpa. When Jacob realized that his grandfather was murdered by the monsters that he has been telling Jacob about for years, Jacob knows that he must find out who killed his grandpa. He also knows that he must find out what his grandpa had been hiding. Jacob is faced with coming up with a plan to find the murderer, and the secrets of his grandfather's past. This conflict is man v. self, because Jacob must push himself to find the answers. (105)

How must he push himself? I think he struggles with what to believe and that is his internal conflict.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 1   5th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 12:25 am

tyler_wormser wrote:
in my book the hunting hour. there are 10 storeies and i picked (The hollween dance). okay this little girl named madison and heer brother mark was haveing a hollween party and home and mark te boy did not want to he wanted to go to a real party so him and his friends walked out the dorrr after a movie came on that he did not like. when him and his frineds made it to the top of the hill one of his friends saind ther was a hollween party at the crave yard so thay went and when thay got there there was a bunch of dead pepole goming out the ground.(115)

Tyler Wormser, you MUST start proofreading your writing. I have a hard time reading it because of the errors. Also, please answer the questions asked.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 1   5th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 12:26 am

KaylaLucas wrote:
In my book, Sean Griswold’s Head, the main character, Payton deals with a personal problem. Her dad has multiple sclerosis and there is nothing she can do about it. She feels bad about it, but there’s just one problem: They lied to her about it. She didn’t talk to them for about a month. And her mom and dad start to worry. They set up some meetings with the guidance counselor at school, but she tells Payton to do a Focus Exercise. She decides to do it on Sean Griswold’s head (hence the name of the book). She starts to get into all of this drama with her best friend, her brother, and even Sean himself. Wonder what happens next…… (121)

So what is she struggling with inside of herself? Does she feel guilty?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 1   5th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 12:27 am

maryannthompson wrote:
One major external event well at one point in the book Colton didn’t really like the doctor’s cause he was being taken away by them. And Colton wanted to say bye before he went into his surgery. But the doctors wouldn’t let him say bye for at least a little bit longer. One internal event was that Colton had to get a major surgery and during that he went to heaven for about three minutes and he came back therefore coltons surgery was an internal event in the book Heaven Is For Real. Also Colton tells what he does during his surgery. (103 words)

I think the parents in this story have more conflict than Colton does. Doesn't some of the story get told from their point of view?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 1   5th period - Forum 1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

5th period - Forum 1
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next