Petal High School Reading Focus

This is a place for Petal High School students to share what they are reading. Your response should be in 50 word increments and should discuss some literary aspect of your choice novel.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Independent Reading

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Independent Reading   Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:16 am

Independent Reading is under fire!  

Some people question the usefulness of personal choice independent reading time in our classroom.  I would like for you to write me a letter that justifies whether or not independent reading time should have a place in our day to day reading focus activities.

When you are writing, please think about the goals of independent reading time:

1.  To improve your reading ability and level.
2.  To improve your critical thinking skills.
3.  To foster a love and/or habit of personal reading through choice and given time.

Do you feel that these goals have completely or partially been met through this reading time?  How so?

Please use correct grammar, spelling, and mechanics in your letter and organize your thoughts efficiently.  Also, please write at least 500 words if not more.  I may need to use your letters as evidence to justify keeping or getting rid of independent reading time, so I need you to take this seriously.

Thank you,
Mrs. Giles

P.S.  We will be in here Monday to finish this and make sure your letters to Mrs. Lightsey are complete.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://petalreadingfocus.forumotion.com
CandiceNForsmark

PostSubject: Re: Independent Reading   Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:57 pm

Okay, I enjoy independent reading time, And let me tell you why. I get to read something that I understand enough and that I know I like. When reading in a group, I always have to read something too easy because of everone else and I don’t get a lot of choice in it because I just sit quietly and let everyone else choose. When Mrs. Giles lets us pick our own book, I enjoy picking books that I get from a library or that are in a series I have been reading. I think that if everyone is so worried about this then they should just open their eyes and get the students who are noticingly picking boring short books to pick books that will challenge them.
I think that not only should we have 15 minutes, but it should be a reward if you get done with your work. I think that also if you help the students find good books that they will like, like mrs. Giles has been doing in our classroom, that the student will be more excited about reading time and will build a better love for reading. I know that reading does not come as naturally or as fun for everyone else like it has for me, but I think that if you read stuff that is more exciting for the student that maybe they would get excited to.
Please do not take away independent reading, because it has helped pull up some students grades as well. Once a student starts to like reading,they are more likely to try to get done with work and do a good job on it because they are wanting to read to the next chapter, etc. It also helps students in finding new words that they had not known before. When having to read books in a group and being forced to do work with it, all that students will see it as is work and they will rush through or text during it or become disinterested in it and skip it all.
About telling us to pick more challenging/educational books, that’s not a very good idea. Imagine if you were a teen. Would you want to pick something about Philosophy or something about a quest and a hero or heroin, or something about a vampires life, or something cool. Students will become disinterested if you tell them to pick an educational book. Maybe not TELL them what to pick, but find a book that is actually educational hidden behind an amazing story and suggest it to them talking about how good it is.
I have seen that students love when the teacher gets down to their level and just talk to them, not teacher telling teen, not teen ignoring teacher. Just two people talking about a book. Teens like it when they feel they are on the same level with the teacher, and if the teacher acts like that and suggests a book, the student is more likely to read it with enthusiasm and joy than with a book that a teacher has instructed them to read as a group and do work on it.
(529)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KaylaLucas

PostSubject: Re: Independent Reading   Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:47 pm

Dear Mrs. Giles,
I love independent reading (especially the book I am reading now)! I stay up all night reading for the first time in my life. I like to read anyways, but this has helped me to read even more. I sometimes would get lost in my book and I couldn’t put it down. There are no words to describe how I feel about the book I am currently reading. I have never enjoyed a book like this before. I really hope they don’t take independent reading away from us. Reading used to be something I hated, but now I am taking off in a sea of knowledge. (110)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kay_burns

PostSubject: Re: Independent Reading   Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:37 pm

Dear Mrs. Giles,
I think that independent reading is very important because, it gives people time to read when they don’t have time to read at home. I have time at home and I read when it is independent time and when I go home. To me when she says reading makes practice. I think that it doesn’t but it does. When I read in independent time I always think of what might happen in the next scene or act or script. I sometimes wonder if what I am reading was in a different climax what would happen differently. I always have question and some time Mrs. Giles can answer them and some she can’t. I like reading because it like running when you don’t run as much as you want you won’t reach your goal and if you don’t read a lot you won’t get better at reading. When I was little I hated to read but then I got use to having to read all day, and all I won’t to now is read, read, and read. If I could read all day I would. Ever since I started read in independent reading all wanted to do is read. Mrs. Giles inspires me to read. She can make you want to read a book that you think is boring. She has amazing Ideas for independent reading like having people in a group that like reading the same thing. Independent reading to me means have time to read what you want to read. When I read I always gets sucked in and don’t want to stop reading. When I get done reading I just want to keep reading it’s like I am in the book. I picture myself in the characters place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
detric f carter

PostSubject: Re: Independent Reading   Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:46 pm

Dear Mrs. Giles,
I think independent reading is a great thing. Independent reading can be helpful in many ways and can helps student with words they don’t understand and he them with reading. Independent reading helped me a lot, if I didn’t read I would have been behind a lot. Reading helps me get into reading and see what books I really like. I love independent reading because I have read a lot of books and I really enjoyed it. Reading can help kids really understand books more when they read and what the book is trying to tell you about life. I really think we should keep independent reading because it really like reading at first ,I really was hating reading but now I love it because I find book I really enjoy. I read a book series that I really like and I wish they would make more like that. The book is called Amulet and I really loved it because it was really entertaining. Reading helps strengthens people minds and relaxes them from problems or complicit in their life. It really can help students find words in the book that they really don’t know and look them up and find a real meaning of the sentence. Some things that I think that would improve independent reading is taking one day of the week and let the students read a class period. Reading opens people eye in life to tell them there’s stuff in life that they shouldn’t do and should do to make their life better. Book teaches you a lesson in life, from teaching you how to cook or clean. You can’t be good at reading unless you practice. A bull riding can’t be good at bull riding unless he practice riding. Unless you read you wouldn’t be able to understand a lot of things
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hannah_trest

PostSubject: Re: Independent Reading   Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:53 pm

Dear Mrs. Giles,
I think independent reading time is awesome. It helps you with your reading ability and your level. It can improve critical thinking skills. To me and to some other people it’s more awesome to have a choice on what you read instead of something just handed to you. When I’m reading in independent time I never want to stop I get so into the book I have never wanted to look away. Which it isn’t a bad thing its better for us it will help us when we have to read out loud in class we will be able to speak more clearer and be able to understand more. It mainly depends on the book and if it’s something you can relate to. I think to have certain goals to reach that will be fine because it lets us know we are doing good and not just reading a book and not get anything out of it. Books are an adventure if you don’t get out there you will never know what lies ahead. Also you may not have time to read at home so you have the opportunity on reading at school. Ever since you started letting us read I try to do my best to read a lot more than what I used to. I like how you take time to just let us read I remember at another school I was at that we had certain days to read in that class and they just went to their lesson and never encouraged us.
Sincerely,
Hannah Trest
Back to top Go down
View user profile
colton_dennis

PostSubject: Re: Independent Reading   Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:55 pm

Dear Mrs. Giles,
Independent reading time is very useful and helpful. Personally I think it helps me become a better reader. I used to not be a big reader that much but I kept reading 15 minutes every day and I started liking reading. I won’t read every book but I’ll read books that I am interested in. In the 1st nine weeks I read a book Mrs. Giles suggested Miss peregrines Home for peculiar children by Ransom Riggs from there I think that’s why I started liking reading. Miss peregrines are a interesting book kind of weird and mysterious pretty good book and I would suggest it to anyone. I think if you don’t like reading you should try at least 15 minutes every day. It really helped me to be a better reader and I’ve kind of started have got into a routine on reading 15 mins every day. I also read fallen angels by Walter dean Myers Sent to the front lines, Perry and his platoon come face-to-face with the Vietcong and the real horror of warfare. But violence and death aren't the only hardships. As Perry struggles to find virtue in himself and his comrades, he questions why black troops are given the most dangerous assignments, and why the U.S. is there at all. Very good book it really shows the reality of the Vietnam war more than any other war book I’ve read and I loved reading that every day. Overall I think independent reading is very helpful and useful and it inspired me to read more.

Sincerely,
Colton Dennis (262)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KaylaLucas

PostSubject: Re: Independent Reading   Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:55 pm

Dear Mrs. Giles,
I love independent reading (especially the book I am reading now)! I stayed up all night reading for the first time in my life! I like to read sometimes, but this has really helped me to read even more. I sometimes would get lost in a book and I couldn’t put it down. There are no words to describe how I feel about the book I am currently reading. I have never enjoyed a book like this before. I really hope that they don’t take our independent reading time away from us. Reading used to be something I hated, but now I am taking off in a sea of knowledge. I think that reading is good for the brain and it is good for us to read at school because most kids don’t read at home. You have inspired me to become a reader just like you have become a runner. I don’t think I would be where I am today without the ability to read. I am very thankful and lucky to be able to read. I used to not read at home, but now I can’t get enough of it. I just love what you have done for me. I really don’t even think 15 minutes is enough time to read. All I know is that reading is my passion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mfuller

PostSubject: Re: Independent Reading   Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:59 pm

Dear Mrs. Giles,
Personally, I love to read, and I always have. Though, I used to not read well, and it seemed like a major struggle to me. I would have trouble understanding words, and I would find it too hard to even read, but I still tried. Throughout the summer, I traveled to Books a Million and became interested in many authors including John Green, Rainbow Rowell, and Stephen Chbosky. When I entered your class, I found out that you had been interested in the same thing. I was amazed at your idea of Independent reading, and I loved it!
Since I am an ‘independent reader’, and love to be alone when I read, I was excited to begin this. I love choosing my own book to read, and discussing what happened in the book with people who seem just as excited about it. With this, my ability to read became better and I have begun to read very complex, college level books.
Independent reading has helped me improve my reading skills, my critical thinking skills, and my ability to understand the text and improve my mind. This idea has helped me find a love for reading and to explore new sights, as well as create new goals. Now, because of this, I want to pursue a career with books. Whether it means to sell them in a bookstore, to write them, or to become a book critic, I will want to be involved with them in the future.
All the goals I have wished to be accomplished have been fully developed and met throughout independent reading time. Without reading by myself, I would never be as involved or understanding as I am with books today. I think independent reading will help many students fall in love with, of course, a book choice of their own. Let them find interests in their books and let them find out what it means to read for pleasure.
While Independent Reading, I read Divergent, The Program, Looking for Alaska, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Anya’s ghost, The Fault in Our Stars, and This Way to the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen. With Independent Reading, I finished these books and enjoyed them at the same time in all of only two semesters. My favorite thing to do with Independent Reading is to present my book to the class at the end of the semester. The thing I love so much about that is I get to show and prove about how great a book is and how enjoying one can be if you just take the time to sit down and read one. People don’t understand that if you have the time, then let the book capture you, and allow yourself to at least enjoy it. For me, reading is a passion, a lifestyle, even.
With Independent Reading, you can read your own choice of book, so that way you can enjoy it even more and there is no limit to how much you can read. With that, I must confess that this class has been one of the best classes I have ever taken, but only because of Independent Reading.
Sincerely,
Meghan Fuller
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obrianbarnes

PostSubject: Re: Independent Reading   Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:34 pm

Dear Mrs. Giles,
Giving us the time to independent read is really fun to do. Letting us read our own genre and time to read the books for 15 minutes is good to. I believed that we should keep the independent reading for as long as we could. I believe that the time that you give us helps our reading skills go really up while we read. This semester we got into a group of either 3 or 4 and we all got the same book as a book talk where we read as much as we can Monday-Thursday and on Friday we get together as a group and talk about the book that were reading and we talk about how far we are in the book, any words that we don’t know. I give many thanks to you for letting us read.
Sincerely, O’Brian
Back to top Go down
View user profile
davidcrawford

PostSubject: Re: Independent Reading   Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:42 pm

Dear Mrs. Giles,
I think independent reading is important because I don’t really want to read what the teachers give us to read because I don’t all was like reading what they give us. Independent reading gives me chance to read what I want and something that I pick and not picked for me. Independent reading helps me read better because I read what I want to and what I like. I don’t really like to read but I like independent reading because I have a choice on what I want to read. I like the book A Day No Pigs Would Die because it is dealing with the country and some of the stuff I have done. In this book I’m reading now the boy was trying to get the baby cow unstuck from the mother cow. I like the book I’m reading now and a lot of the other books I have read like the military books I have read. I like to read military books and anything with action in it and with independent reading I get to choice what I want to read so that’s why I like independent reading.
Thank you,
Mrs. Giles
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cadedabbs

PostSubject: Re: Independent Reading   Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:07 pm

Dear Mrs. Giles,
Independent reading should not be taken away because without it I would hardly read at all. Independent reading has really helped me improve my grammar, my reading level, and my critical thinking skills. I really like independent reading because it has given me chances to try new books. For example, towards the beginning of the year I started to read Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children. I really enjoyed the book. There were a lot of words and scenes in the book I didn’t understand at first but as I kept reading it I began to understand it more and more. Independent reading has really helped me improve my grammar by reading more challenging books. When I did not understand a word I would look the word up or ask Mrs. Giles what the word had meant. These fifteen minutes we get has really impacted the way I read today. I remember last year I would never reach my A.R goal because I hated reading. But now that we read fifteen minutes every day reading has sort of grown own me and I enjoy it. Independent reading has improved my reading level a lot. I remember at the beginning of the year I was only reading Goosebumps. When Mrs. Giles offered to me that I read Hiroshima. I didn’t want to say no because I wanted to push myself to read more complex books. I’m glad I had said yes because now I can read at a way higher level than I could at the beginning of the year now.
Sincerely, Cade Dabbs (267)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leanna.parker3298

PostSubject: Re: Independent Reading   Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:15 pm

Dear Mrs. Giles,
I think that independent reading time is good for anyone because it helps you in everyday life. These are the goals of independent reading time Goal 1 to learn about other places and what I mean by that is we can like learn about like what other people do. Like for an example for this is “Night” Elie Wiesel because of how it is during the holocaust and its deals with Jewish and German. Goal 2 guesses the theme and then after we are done we can see if we are good predictors or not. Well basically what I am saying is that we can predict by the cover of the book and then we can see if we were right about it. Reading focus is a really good program for any student and I think that reading focus should be more than just freshmen. Because of independent reading time because I think independent helps you to stay focused on not only everyday stuff but for English math and any subject that you have to read a lot. Because if you have to read a lot in them classes your just like oh my everyone is done reading but me. But it really does not matter how fast you read but it does help the pace when you read more. Independent reading time is a good time for students to take a break and just read and just have nice and quietness. And it gives the kids something to do while the teacher is taking role. But it is not like it is just busy work because it is something to benefit us not the teacher but she takes time out of her lesson time to allow us that fifteen minutes to read so please do not take away independent reading time.
Sincerely
Leanna Parker
(308)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonfoster

PostSubject: Re: Independent Reading   Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:46 pm

Dear Mrs. Giles,

To me independent reading is a good thing because it helps me improve on vocabulary and learning how to pronounce words I don’t know. It helps me learn how to predict what might and what might not happen next or in the future while enjoying the book. I also enjoy books when I get to pick the book I want to read and not a book that is assigned to me. If we didn’t have independent reading then the class wouldn’t be as fun than it is right now.
Sincerely,
Jon Foster
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alex_overstreet

PostSubject: Re: Independent Reading   Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:29 pm

Dear Mrs. Giles,
Independent reading time is a good time to enjoy a book we like. If we do not have choice, then we will get bored and not understand a book you would give us. We need choice so we could pick a book that we can understand and enjoy instead of some boring book we don’t know anything about. If you gave us a book more educational then we most likely will not read it or understand it. We need to be able to pick out our own book were we could improve our reading level and reading ability. That would really help us out. This would most likely improve our critical thinking skills by making our brain think more clearly because we actually understand and like the book. This could really help us out in our reading skills. Since we have started independent reading and got to choose our own book, it has really made me want to read more. I really like staying up late reading and not wanting to put it down. When we first began reading our own book, I really didn’t like it because I wasn’t much of a reader but now I can’t put it down. It is so hard to put your book down when you get deep into it.
This independent reading book is a very good idea. I really like having choice on what book to pick. It really improves our skills and the way we read. I use to have a very difficult time trying to read books until I started having my own choice on what book to read and now I enjoy it a lot. First I read a book called, I Am Third. It was a very good book and I understood almost all of it because it was a book I picked and enjoyed. The book really made sense to me. The book I am reading now is called, travel team. I am only half way done with the book but I really like it and understand most of it so far. I am pretty sure that when I get done with the book that I am going to be really happy about the outcome of the book. We really need personal choice independent reading time in our classroom. This could really help us in our lives in the future were we could get a job that has to do with reading. Since we get to choose our own book, it could help our brain function own something we enjoy. Our brain will have better vocabulary the more we read.
Sincerely,
Alex overstreet
(439)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cjohnson

PostSubject: Re: Independent Reading   Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:53 am

I like reading sometimes. I usually don't because I am just not good at reading it has always been really hard for me to get into a book, and actually like it and want to finish it. I like picking my own books, and I don't like being forced to read. I think independent reading is a good thing to do it just takes up a lot of time, and doesn't give us a lot of time to do anything else because this class is so short. I want to be able to pick stuff that I like reading about, and what my group chose I don't really like it, so it is hard for me to stay focused and enjoy what I am reading. It is a good idea, and I like it and all but I am not really a reading person at all. But, whenever I get a good book, and I get into it I will read forever! I love this idea sometime, but at the same time I don’t. I love how you care so much to help us read better, and since you care so much we should want to try harder! I really think this will help us in the long run. Especially whenever we get older, and I think it will help me out more than anything be a better reader because with all my reading and learning disabilities it is really hard to read, and actually know and understand what I am reading! But anyways I think this is a really good idea. (262)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Independent Reading   

Back to top Go down

Independent Reading
Page 1 of 1