Petal High School Reading Focus

This is a place for Petal High School students to share what they are reading. Your response should be in 50 word increments and should discuss some literary aspect of your choice novel.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Period 5 - Forum 3

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Period 5 - Forum 3   Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:08 am

Describe a minor character in this book who had a major importance. Explain. (Hint: He/She probably was so important because of an interaction he/she had with the main character in which the main character changed or made an important decision as a result of this interaction)

This response should be 150 words.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://petalreadingfocus.forumotion.com
michael_turcotte

PostSubject: Re: Period 5 - Forum 3   Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:35 pm

In the book I am reading I am a Seal Team Six Warrior Howard E. Wasdin Faces trouble with his step father Leon. In the story Howard faces lots of pain with his step father because of either what he does wrong or even if he does it right. Leon and Howards mother were going out at the time and ever time Leon got home it was hell for Howard. Leon would constantly go up to his soon to be step sons room and just beat him sometimes for no reason. And it would happen day after day with Howard and Leon coming up to his room. And once Leon got married to Howard mom it wasn’t as bad but if he did do something wrong Leon would come and beat with what he could find. The beatings happened so often that Howard soon just didn’t feel the pain anymore. And years and Years pasted And soon Howard joined a team. And Leon But all that punishment on him and now Howard feels nothing And that is why Leon is a Major importance to Howards life. (187)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brad_McClendon

PostSubject: Re: Period 5 - Forum 3   Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:32 pm

Helmuth is a young boy who lives in Hamburg, Gemany with the rest of his family. Throughout, the book he is thinking about his past as a child when hitler raised as ruler of the fatherland. He yet can't decide to follow in the path of something that he knows is wrong or be summoned to obey the horrible times that lie before him for treason.

Gerhard- Helmuths older half-brother
About him: Gerhard lives with helmuth and the rest of thier family and is known as a know it all. Throughout the book he agrivates helmuth with his knowledge and supieriority. Helmuth later meets his troubles with Gerhard when he relizes that his arrogence will not bring him far in life.

Hans- Helmuths oldest half-brothers
About him: Hans is the oldest of the three brothers who is mentioned slightly in this book. He later on works at a ship building facility where he builds submarines for the Nazi's as his time as a soldier.

(164)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kambreejarrell_

PostSubject: Re: Period 5 - Forum 3   Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:30 pm

In my book that I am reading, which is Saving Juliet, I would most definatly have to say that one of the minor characters in my book is Troy because Juliet is MAJOR in my book. Troy is not the only one because there is Tybalt and all of them also but right now I am going to focus in on Troy I think that Troy is important because he looks out of his way and doesnt just focus in on himself all the time and when he does focus in on hisself he always has his reasons. Troy is one that had fought some and won some and I dont think he ever lost he always won his battles, with no help. but I also think that everyone has lost and one their battles at some point and time. But he has put fourth effort when he stands his grounds. And that is my minor character from the story that I pick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hannah_trest

PostSubject: Re: Period 5 - Forum 3   Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Shu Ling is basically the minor charactor because Wen is constantly thinking about her. Wen is trying to do her very best to see if her parents will keep her then she will ask if they can adopt Shu Ling as well. She looks at her shirts and she thinks to herself that Shu Ling would love this shirt. One time she asked her parents if she could call Shu Ling. So they asked the adoption lady if Wen could and she said that it would be fine. So when Wen called and asked for Shu Ling she answered and said that she missed her and everything. Shu Ling started to cry and dropped the phone. Wen thought that she could just right her then her mom came in and asked what she was doing and Wen said just righting a letter to Shu Ling. Then her mom asked would you like to send her a package as well and Wen said sure. They went out and bought some things for Shu Ling that Wen thought she would enjoy then they went home put it in the box and sent it. Every day since Wen has been looking through the mail to see if Shu Ling wrote her back and so far she hadn't.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ashlie_collier

PostSubject: Re: Period 5 - Forum 3   Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:26 pm

The main character is Darcy because she cares about her family and friends shse always worries about her mom and sister and grandma. Her moma works all the time she really dont have no time to spend time with her daughters or moma and Jamee hangs out with the wrong people they always get her in trouble . Darcy is the only one that takes care of her grandma because know one is never there but her so she has to help eat and drink and stuff like that and when her moma does come home her mother dont have time to talk to her because she is about to fall asleep so she goes to bed with out saying goodnight .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ashlie_collier

PostSubject: Re: Period 5 - Forum 3   Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:36 pm

Darcy was the major character in the book Lost And Found because she was like the mother to her sister and grandma because her mother was never home she always at work and her sister was late home all the time . Her grandma laid in bed all the time because she was old and she couldnt get out of bed to use the bathroom . Darcy would always have to cook for her family and she had to clean the house and wash cloths everyday because she had know one to help her when she got outta school and her mother worked like 24/7 and Darcy had to keep track of her sister because she was starting to act like all her stuck up friends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brandon_jones

PostSubject: Re: Period 5 - Forum 3   Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:40 pm

There are many characters that have a major role in the story like Vladek, Artie and Vladek’s wife. Artie is one major character in the story because he wants to listen to his grandfather’s story about the holocaust/World War II. Art Speigleman is the writer and he is trying to copy his dad’s story into a novel. His grandfather/grandpa is one major character in the story because while he tells his story, it is shown in the book or presented as a flashback. Vladek is mostly shown in the story because of him narrating and Art wanting to know what happened during the story/holocaust/World War II. His wife is somewhat shown in the story helping out with other needs in Vladek’s story. She Vladek meet at different times: During lunchtime, work time and while the ladies are doing something that they are supposed to be attended to. In conclusion all three of these character show up in this story and have a major role in it.(164)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maryannthompson

PostSubject: Re: Period 5 - Forum 3   Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:50 pm

Colton’s mother was the minor character because during the book it didn’t really talk about her all throughout the book. Sonja was the one who kept Colton going during is surgeries and also she made him feel like nothing happened to him. Also Colton loved his mother so much because she was always at the hospital when Colton was going through his surgery. And one of the main characters was Colton’s father he was the same as is wife Sonja because he kept Colton going through his day. Also Colton’s father asked Colton if he remembered his surgery and also he asked Colton what he did while he was in heaven. Therefore Sonja Colton’s mother was the minor character that kept Colton going and Colton’s father is the main character who also made Colton feel at home. (138 words)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kay_burns

PostSubject: Re: Period 5 - Forum 3   Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:55 pm

In my book Strawberry Hill there is a girl named Allie and she is moving at first she does not want to move because she does not want to leave her best friend behind. When she heard about moving she was not so sure then she got use to the idea. She kept thinking that there was going to be a bunch of strawberries there. When she got to her new home she found out the there was no strawberries on her road. She was really upset. She went and found her room in her new house. One day she and Mimi went to the field that was down the street and stated to play and then Mimi said follow me I got a surprise to show you and Mimi lead her to a yard with strawberries and they started to eat them and Allie said I thought that was no strawberries on this street and Mimi said she thought that to when she moved to the town. So after they got done eating Allie got a basket and picked some for her brother Danny.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
colton_dennis

PostSubject: Re: Period 5 - Forum 3   Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:56 pm

In the book im reading the Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar children Jacob Portman, a 16 year old boy, goes to Wales to find out the truth of his grandfather's past after he was murdered by what Jacob thought was a make-believe creature. When he arrives, he finds the home where his grandfather and the peculiar children stayed. That is where he meets Emma, a "strikingly pretty" girl who can control fire. She takes him to meet Miss Peregrine in a time loop set back in 1940. Jacob enjoys hanging out with the other peculiar children, such as Millard, who is invisible, and Bronwyn, who has incredible strength. Then Jacob is told some mysterious stories of strange killings in the pub he's staying at, and warns the peculiar children. When they tell Jacob he is the only one who can see the "hollows" or "hollowgasts", the monsters that killed Jacob's grandfather, Jacob knows he is the only hope they have for safety. (162)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris_Roberts

PostSubject: Re: Period 5 - Forum 3   Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:24 pm

In the ENDER’S GAME Graff was a really big part in the book. He was the general that saw the potential in ender to keep going and he pushed the military to keep promoting him and putting him through tests. He is probably the most important one to him in the book other than his sister valentine she is the only reason he didn’t want to go to battle school because his family called him a third which means he is the third kid in the family and there only suppose to have two. So valentine was really the only one he looked up to. In the beginning of the book Graff was testing him by acting like ender was his favorite cadet so the other cadets would pick on him, to make him stronger. But in the end Graff really helped ender become the prophesy general they expected and needed. 151 words
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cameron.green

PostSubject: Re: Period 5 - Forum 3   Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:28 pm

Phineas Gage was the main character but the person that was close to phineas was his doctor. He took care of him when he had his accident. He had a bar go through his head, he survived and the doctor cleaned his wound and took care of him until he left and he lost track of phineas. Phineas’s doctor got back with him a couple of month later and caught back up with him about how he has been and how his wound is doing. Phineas Gage is important because he survive and accident that seemed impossible to survive and lived a year and 8 months after the accident happened to him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
keenan_stevens

PostSubject: Re: Period 5 - Forum 3   Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:29 pm

In the book Sea Of Monsters there was a character that was Percy’s friend and he was in trouble. Well Percy wanted to go and save his friend so he wouldn’t get in trouble. His friend was trapped in the Cyclops cave. He was pretending to be a girl Cyclops because the bigger Cyclops was looking for a wife. So Grover (Percy’s friend) would tell the Cyclops that he was still stitching his wedding dress. So Grover would send Percy messages through telepathy. So Percy left his camp when he wasn’t suppose to just to go help his friend. So if Grover didn’t send Percy those messages then the whole journey wouldn’t have been able to happen. At first it wasn’t even Percy’s quest to go on. It was suppose to be a different campers quest. But since it was Percy’s friend that was in trouble he decided to sneak away from camp with Ann Beth and Tyson to go save Grover. (162)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
elizabeth_bailey

PostSubject: Re: Period 5 - Forum 3   Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:38 pm

I read the book Love, Stargirl and I think that a minor character that played a big role in this book is Dootsie. Dootsie is a little girl who Stargirl met when while meditating on a picnic on a table in the park. She taught Stargirl so many things about the way other people understand stuff. She also was one of her only friend. Stargirl made many friends because of Dootsie pretty much the only friends Stargirl had in her new town are the ones she made because of Dootsie. Stargirl didn’t really make any decisions because of dootsie but I feel like she was important.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KaylaLucas

PostSubject: Re: Period 5 - Forum 3   Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:43 pm

A minor character in the book Anya’s Ghost that had a major role in the story would have to be Emily. Emily is the ghost’s name. Emily is a kind of minor character in the book. She meets Anya in the well, but thankfully there is not any water kin the well. After she fell in the well, Emily takes a bone from the skeleton and puts it in Anya’s bag. That is what starts all of the drama. Emily tells Anya a lie about how she ended up in the well, but Anya eventually finds out the truth. (100)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Period 5 - Forum 3   

Back to top Go down

Period 5 - Forum 3
Page 1 of 1