Petal High School Reading Focus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Petal High School Reading Focus

This is a place for Petal High School students to share what they are reading. Your response should be in 50 word increments and should discuss some literary aspect of your choice novel.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

5th period - Forum 2

Go down 
+13
Chris_Roberts
Mfuller
elizabeth_bailey
Brad_McClendon
cameron_green
hannah_trest
daviddickerson
maryannthompson
kay_burns
colton_dennis
brandon_jones
kambreejarrell_
Admin
17 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

5th period - Forum 2 Empty
PostSubject: 5th period - Forum 2   5th period - Forum 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 1:35 pm

Describe the character/person who changed the most from the beginning of the story to the end of the story. Explain the change and what caused it.

This should be 150 words.
Back to top Go down
https://petalreadingfocus.forumotion.com
kambreejarrell_

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 2   5th period - Forum 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 5:23 pm

In my book, Saving Juliet, there is really no character that has like really changed dramatically but I guess I could kind of say that Juliet is "that character" if any only because she plays not only for herself and not necessarily "plays" but takes role for herself but she also takes roles for some of the other characters in the book so she is more of not a one on one type but more of a character that focuses on others and helps them depend or see what they need to do or what their problems are or maybe what they are facing....She is that character I say that has to change alot through her appearence in her outlook on how people look at her and how she looks at herself faceing so many difficulties. So that is who I say in character wise that has changed the most from the beginning to the end of the book.
Back to top Go down
brandon_jones

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 2   5th period - Forum 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 5:31 pm

The person that changed throughout the book/graphic novel Maus was the character Art Spiegelman because he goes from wanting to listen to his dad’s story about the holocaust to wanting to stay away from him. The reason for this is because when Art “Artie” Spiegelman wants to hear his dad’s story, Vladek doesn’t want to tell what happened. Well, some of the time he didn’t. Most of the book was Vladek telling Artie what had happened and how he survived during the holocaust. The part about wanting to stay away from Vladek happens when Vladek gets tired of telling the story. He tells Artie most of it but then gets a headache and wants to spend time with him instead. Well Art doesn’t because he really wants Vladek to explain to him what happened so he can tape record it and listen to it. Art is hoping that this won’t happen too many times. (155)
Back to top Go down
colton_dennis

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 2   5th period - Forum 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 5:29 pm

The person who has changed the most in my story miss peregrine home for peculiar children is a sixteen year old boy Jacob Portmanwho is a misfit. His only friend is a screw-up and a rebel and Jacob hangs out with him because he is an interesting boy. Though his friend is not very nice and Jacob is the kind of kid who takes a mean joke and shakes it off but it hurt him inside. When his grandfather died he felt so lost because that was the one man who understood him because Jacob is hard to understand especially he did not know this until later in the book that he is a peculiar child and can see monsters. His search for understanding is really relatable too. He is just a lost soul who is trying to find his place, and trying to find where he belongs. But throughout the story he changes from all the events he sees and has to go through helk to find out granfathers death.
Back to top Go down
kay_burns

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 2   5th period - Forum 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 11:30 pm

The person who changed the most in my book Strawberry Hill will have to be Allie. She was not so happy when she heard that she was having to move to a new home and leave her best friend behind. Well she got use to the idea of moving because of the name of the street that she and her family would be living on. In her mind she thought that there would be strawberries there on the ground all around. When she moved to her new home she was alright she made a friend and they became best friends but when Allie found out that her best friend had another best friend she got all mad. Then she was became friends with Mimi instead. So i think she changed the most in the book.
Back to top Go down
maryannthompson

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 2   5th period - Forum 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 5:29 pm

I am reading Heaven Is For Real, and the main character “ Colton.” He changed by dying and going to heaven. Then colton came back to life in 3 minutes. Therefore colton changed because he used to be just a little a kid who didn’t really know anything about heaven. Now colton wants to go back and he knows what everything is like there. Also colton wants to go because of what heaven is like, usually kids really arent ready to go to heaven older people would rather go since they are almost there anyways. Colton is always talking about what heaven is like and how he always wants to go. Colton always saids that he met is fathers pop in heaven, colton never even met his dads father. Now that coltons father knows his pop is up there he wants to go. Therefore colton is the one who changed the most towards the end of the book. (160 words)
Back to top Go down
daviddickerson

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 2   5th period - Forum 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 5:36 pm

The charcter/person that changed the most was the main charcter of the book. One way he changed was he was abused by his step dad and his mom never cared so, one day his football coach seen the scares and asked him what happen. He said that a dog bit him. He always had to be cautause because he didn’t wont be made fun of. Then when he went to boot camo finally didn’t care because he over came his fear. When he was deploied to Iraq there was a boy that stepped on a IED and it took half of his foot off. He made the effort to take care of that boy and give him medical support so when he final went to leave he gave him a set of crutches. What I like about this charcter is he never gives up and he stays strong and never gives up.
Back to top Go down
hannah_trest

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 2   5th period - Forum 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 5:40 pm

Wen is the one who changed the most. At first she was just a kid in an orphanage with her best friend/sister in China. Then a lovely family came all the way from America just to adopt Wen. She knew some english but not alot. She was sad because she was going to have to leave her sister behind. It took some time then it was alright. Right when Wen got to America and saw her room and everything it was still different. She needed to know alot of english before she went to school but she didn' listen to her mom and wanted to go anyway and she did. It was her first day she knew no body she didn't even know what to do all she did was just follow the crowd. She knew barley any english and thats why it was so hard. After a while she ended up learning more and more english words. But it took some time.
Back to top Go down
cameron_green

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 2   5th period - Forum 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 5:35 pm

My book i was reading was Phineas Gage.He is the chracter that changed, one day he was working (he builds rail roads) and he was laying down some explosive (gun powder) and he was packing it with his rode and the gun powder is very touchy, really anything could set it off but he has done this hundreds of times. They usally wet the bottom gunpowder so they can pack it without it going off. Well this time they forgot. As soon as he went to pack it, it went off. after the smoke went away they say that there was blood all over Phineas. they took his to the doctor and he had a hole in his head were the rode went straight through. Amazingly he survived the accident, after 8 months the doctor said he has fully recovered his accident. To ppl that didnt know him they would have never guessed what happened to him, but the people he was always around knew that he was acting completly different than before.
Back to top Go down
Brad_McClendon

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 2   5th period - Forum 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 5:39 pm

Michael is the star of the book The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game. Michael grew up as an extremely impoverished child in the ghettos of Memphis. He rarely had a place to sleep at night and struggled to find clothing to keep him warm and food to fill his stomach. When Big Tony helps enroll Michael in a wealthy, private school, Michael is adopted by a rich, white family. This family, the Tuohys, help Michael overcome all the problems in his life to be a highly courted college football player. Michael Oher eventually goes on to become a first-draft NFL pick.
Back to top Go down
kambreejarrell_

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 2   5th period - Forum 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 5:48 pm

Driver’s ED was about a girl named Rembrandt, who was the main character and Morgan, Rembrandt’s secret crush. Rembrandt has a nickname that she goes by in school, its Remy. Morgan and Remy are both in the same Driver’s ED class together and in many of each others other classes. Everyday in Driver’s ED; Mr. Fielding, the Driver’s ED teacher, takes t...more In the book Driver ED by Caroline B. Cooney in my opinion was spectacular. Hands up outstanding by how the Author wrote the book and told the story. Driver’s ED was about a girl named Rembrandt, who was the main character and Morgan, Rembrandt’s secret crush. Rembrandt has a nickname that she goes by in school, its Remy. Morgan and Remy are both in the same Driver’s ED class together and in many of each others other classes. Everyday in Driver’s ED; Mr. Fielding, the Driver’s ED teacher, takes three kids out to drive and the rest stays with the librarian who doesn’t care about anything, so she puts in ear plugs and lets the kids do anything. Morgan, Lark, and Remy go almost every class out to drive because everyone else is scared to and doesn’t want to anyway. Mr. Fielding never notices that they drive every time, he is a confused teacher. They all went out driving one day and Remy ran over a cement median in the middle of the lanes. One class, they all decided to start a contest to see who could take the most signs on the road. Remy, Morgan, and the driver Nickie all went to get signs one night and they got Morgan Street and a stop sign. Later they found out that a woman died the next night by a truck running into her. “Kids took the stop sign that was supposed to be there. She didn’t know there was one so she kept going and she just wasn’t lucky in this crash. He has left a husband and a 1 year old alone now” the reporter says. Consequences are to come but to find out; you will have to read the book! I recommend this book for every to read. It’s a very good book for teenagers to read because they are making choices and starting to drive.
Back to top Go down
elizabeth_bailey

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 2   5th period - Forum 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 5:51 pm

In my book, Love, Stargirl, I feel like Stargirl has changed the most because at the beginning she was sad all the time because she had moved away from Leo. She starts to become more like herself because she meets new friends and it makes her feel better. At the end of the last book she wanted to be normal cause that’s what everybody wanted from her but as we come into the new book. She is still being “normal” in the new book but she isnt happy that way. I think meeting her new friends she is happier and becoming the old stargirl and getting away from the “normal” Stargirl.
Back to top Go down
Mfuller

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 2   5th period - Forum 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 5:49 pm

The person that changed the most in my story was Chip "The Colonel". At first in the story, he is so exciting and so talkative, but towards the end, after the tragedy happens, he feels so alone, and is just away from everyone. In the beginning, Colonel was friends with Miles, and spoke to him all the time, but in the end, he just keeps to himself, and doesn’t talk to him much. Even though Colonel is sad all the time, and doesn’t speak, his friendship is still strong with Miles, because they understand each other even more.
Back to top Go down
Chris_Roberts

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 2   5th period - Forum 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 5:54 pm

In Ender’s Game ender changed a lot. In the beginning he was a wimpy, nerdy kid. Once he got to the Battleschool he was starting to get recognized while the commanders are watching him through training and all of his choices and moving him up past people older and higher rank than him cause there determined that he is going to be the next commander that is going to change the outcome of the winner of the war against them and aliens they call buggers. They put a lot of trust and confidence into ender. but in the end he does turn out to be what they expected the one commander that would turn the whole war around in their favor. His confidence and strength I think change the most in the whole story of Ender’s Game. At first he never would have thought he would got that far still being afraid to leave home and join the military leaving his sister valentine even though he is eight years old. 169 pages
Back to top Go down
KaylaLucas

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 2   5th period - Forum 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 5:20 pm

Anya could really use a friend. But her new BFF isn’t kidding about the “Forever” part . . .
Of all the things Anya expected to find at the bottom of an old well, a new friend was not one of them. Especially not a new friend who’s been dead for a century.
Falling down a well is bad enough, but Anya’s normal life might actually be worse. She’s embarrassed by her family, self-conscious about her body, and she’s pretty much given up on fitting in at school. A new friend—even a ghost—is just what she needs.
Or so she thinks. Spooky, sardonic, and secretly sincere, Anya’s Ghost is a wonderfully entertaining debut graphic novel from author/artist Vera Brosgol. I loved this book and I think that you would too! Anya is the main character in the book. She is like the outcast. She isn’t very popular either. (150)
Back to top Go down
tyler_wormser

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 2   5th period - Forum 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 5:35 pm

i read the book hunting hour and there are diffrent storys in it and i picked the halloween dance.. thay are haveing a halloeween dance at the grave stight and hay went well it turns out that there are real gost well come to think about it thay are dead when thay walked up the hill thay got hit bye a truck well thay play this game hat make them go forther in the future and so thay when backwards with the game to go back in time to where thay got hit well if you wanna know the rest than read the book (150)
Back to top Go down
alex_overstreet

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 2   5th period - Forum 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 5:42 pm

Billy Raynor changed a lot in the book hot hand. He was not a good basketball player and he did not listen very well to his dad. As his life went on, he kept getting better at shooting the basketball. His dad would yell at him every time he would do something good, his dad would yell at him for not doing the right play that his dad drew up. His dad and him started understanding eachother better. During the games his dad would draw up a play, like Billy was suppose to pass the ball where his teamate could shoot it and they would go into overtime. Instead Billy would get the ball and try to shoot a threw. He would always make it because he got better but his dad would start screaming at him for not doing what his dad drew up. Later in the book, Billy changed a lot. He would listen more and he would make more shots.(163)
Back to top Go down
keenan_stevens

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 2   5th period - Forum 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 5:42 pm

In the book The Sea of Monsters there wasn’t really anybody who changed dramatically. But if I were to pick somebody I would choose Tyson. He was a Cyclops. And he was the son of Poseidon. At first he was brought up for adoption but nobody would adopt him. So he was kicked out of the adoption center and had to live on the streets. But finally he found a way to get into school and try to get a good education. But however hard he tried he couldn’t really comprehend any of the things he was being taught. So when Percy joined the school and met Tyson they started being friends and Percy kept getting picked on for hanging out with Tyson because he is ugly and has a lot of scars. Well after Percy found out that Tyson was a Cyclops he took him to camp Half-blood. And then Poseidon clamed Tyson as his son. So it turned out that Percy and Tyson were brothers the whole time. But after Tyson figured out he had a brother it changed him and it made Tyson want to learn more things. So he went from a stupid Cyclops to a Cyclops that can wield and build stuff from metal. And he ended up making a watch for Percy. But the only thing about the watch is that when Percy pressed a certain button it would open up and turn into a shield. (242)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5th period - Forum 2   5th period - Forum 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

5th period - Forum 2
Page 1 of 1